Address by Governor at the TV5 Business Leader Awards function at Hyderabad
Address by Shri CH Vidyasagar Rao, Governor of Maharashtra at the TV5 Business Leader Awards function at HICC, Hyderabad at 6 pm on 23rd December 2017
Shri Suresh Prabhu, Hon’ble Union Minister for Commerce and Industry, Government of India, Shri K T Rama Rao, Hon’ble Minister for Information Technology (IT), Municipal Administration and Urban Development (MAUD), Textiles and NRI Affairs, Government of Telangana, Shri N Lokesh, Minister for Information Technology, Panchayathi Raj and Rural development, Government of Andhra Pradesh, Shri B R Naidu, Chairman, TV5 News, Editors, Business Editors, distinguished invitees, ladies and gentlemen,
2. I am indeed delighted to be a part of the TV5 Business Leader Awards presentations.
3. TV5 has made a mark in a relatively short period.
4. I congratulate TV5 for instituting the Business Leader Awards.
5. During a short period, this award has emerged as the biggest awards in the entire South India.
6. I am glad that 50 business leaders from the two Telugu States are being presented the TV5 business awards.
7. I am also happy that for the first time TV5 is rewarding Non Resident Telugu legends who have made their mark in foreign country.
8. The business leaders selected for the awards deserve wholehearted compliments. I congratulate each one of the TV5 Business Leader awardees.
9. I also convey my sincere appreciation to all Jury Members.
10. Thanks to the slew of initiatives taken by Government of India, there has certainly been a marked improvement in the Ease of Doing Business in the country.
11. It is a matter of great pride for all Telugu Speaking people that the two Telugu States are sharing the number 1 rank in the ease of doing business.
12. Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises MSME sector is regarded as the ‘Engine of Growth’ of the country. The MSME sector has tremendous potential for job creation and in promoting exports.
During the last three years, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana have entered into a new era of healthy competition. It is remarkable that the two states are in the forefront driving the country’s GDP to newer heights. Both states are vying with each other to attract business and investment. This will create a win-win situation for business leaders, for Telangana and for Andhra Pradesh. It will also create job opportunities for the people of both States.
Ladies and gentlemen,
13. The economic history of India is very interesting. Beginning with the Maurya rule which was followed by the Cholas, Guptas, Rashtrakutas, Hoysalas and so on, between 1st and 17th centuries AD, India is estimated to have had the largest economy of the ancient and medieval world, controlling between one third and one fourth of the world’s wealth.
14. I was reading the book ‘The Clash of Civilizations’ by Samuel Huntington.
I was amazed to know that in the year 1750, India accounted for 24.5 percent of the World Manufacturing Output. It declined under the British rule. By 1980, India’s share came down to 2.3 while the share of West rose to 58 per cent.
15. While IT and ITES and Pharmaceutical sectors are driving economic growth in the two states, I want to assert that we must pay due attention to agriculture and agro business. This is because, India had dominated the world trade due to its strength in agriculture and manufacturing.
16. Agriculture continues to support more than half the population of both the States. India has tremendous potential in agro-business.
17. I want TV5 to give a major boost to agro business by instituting awards for leaders in agro business industry.
18. Victor Hugo had famously said, “No power on earth can stop an idea whose time has come. The emergence of India as a major economic power in the world happens to be one such idea”.
19. Let us all work together to make India the greatest economic power in the world once again.