Maharashtra Day Message by Governor of Maharashtra on the occasion of the 56th anniversary of the formation of the State of Maharashtra
Message by Shri CH. Vidyasagar Rao, Governor of Maharashtra on the occasion of the 56th anniversary of the formation of the State of Maharashtra at Shivaji Park, Mumbai on Sunday, 1st May 2016
Sisters and Brothers,
1. I extend my greetings to the people of Maharashtra on the occasion of the 56th anniversary of the formation of the State of Maharashtra. I also extend my greetings to all workers on the occasion of the International Labour Day.
2. I also pay my tributes to the martyrs who laid down their lives for the cause of formation of Samyukta Maharashtra.
3. The State has made remarkable progress during the last 56 years.
4. Even as we celebrate this day, I feel saddened that Maharashtra is witnessing an acute drought for the fourth consecutive year. Nearly 28,662 villages have been affected by drought. The government has disbursed Rs. 2750 crore to 38 lakhs drought affected farmers in the State and has spent an additional Rs 459 crore for supplying water to 3,351 villages and 5,402 hamlets through tankers. Further Rs. 171 crore has been earmarked for running fodder camps. The Centre too has approved Rs.3,049 crore for drought relief measures in the State.
Wheat priced at Rs. 2 per kg and rice priced at Rs.3 per kg is being supplied to farmers in 14 districts of Marathwada and Vidarbha regions.
My Government will endeavour to provide insurance with a total sum assured of Rs.20,000 crore in order to provide financial security to 1.34 crore farmers.
The Government is supplying potable water to the drought affected Latur with the help of ‘Jal Doot’, the water train.
Jalyukta Shivar Yojana, the flagship scheme of my Government is being implemented vigorously throughout the State. The Hon’ble Prime Minister of India has appreciated the scheme. I feel proud that Rajasthan and Telangana governments have decided to implement the scheme in their respective States.
Top of Form
5. The Government has announced the scheme ‘Farm Pond on Demand’ – Magel Tyala Shet Tale – to promote sustainable agriculture. In its first phase, 52,000 farm ponds will be created.
6. Farmers are backbone of rural economy. This budget for the year 2016-17 has been dedicated to farmers and the year is being observed as ‘Shetakari Swabhiman Varsh.’ Budgetary provision of Rs.25,000 crore has been earmarked for agriculture and allied activities.
7. I am pleased to mention that the work of construction of a grand National Monument of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj in the Arabian Sea has commenced with the appointment of Project Management Consultant.
8. As part of the 125th birth anniversary celebrations of Bharat Ratna Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar, my Government has accorded ‘A’ Grade Pilgrimage Destination status to Deekshabhoomi in Nagpur. A memorial of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar is also being created at village Ambavade. The Government reiterates its commitment to creating a grand memorial for Dr Ambedkar in the Indu Mills compound in Mumbai.
I am happy to announce that Maharashtra has become the first State in the country to enact the Maharashtra Prohibition of People from Social Boycott (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Bill, 2016 that aims to root out the evil practice of social boycott.
9. The ‘Make In India Week’ organized in Mumbai was a thumping success. I am happy to mention that State received an assured investment worth Rs.8 lakh crore having potential to generate employment opportunity for 30 lakh persons.
10. With a view to transform Mumbai into a global Financial Centre, MMRDA has allocated Rs. 171 crore to spruce up the Bandra-Kurla Complex which is being positioned as the next international finance centre.
11. I am pleased to mention that Maharashtra is leading in the country in surrendering subsidized LPG and so far 16.42 lakh persons have given up the subsidy voluntarily.
12. I am happy to State that Maharashtra received the second highest Panchayati Raj Award for decentralization and devolution of powers to Panchayats on the occasion of the National Panchayat Raj Day.
13. I am happy to mention that the Aaple Sarkar web portal of the government will now be available in all districts. Of the notified 319 services guaranteed under the Right to Services Act, more than 156 services have been made available online and the remaining services will be made available online by 2nd October 2016.
14. I am pleased to State that the Swachch Maharashtra Mission being implemented under the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan has gained momentum. The government is according high priority to making the State Open Defecation free and ensuring effective management of solid waste.
During the year 2015-16, more than 4, 40,000 toilet units were constructed and 5,276 villages were declared Open Defecation free.
Sisters and Brothers,
16. Maharashtra has tremendous potential for tourism. The government has announced a new Tourism Policy to open new avenues for the growth of tourism in the State.
17. With a view to increasing the forest cover in the State, the government has announced an ambitious plan to plant 2 crore saplings on the occasion of Krishi Din celebrated on 1st July 2016.
18. The Government has expedited the task of technology upgradation of the Police force. Towards this end, the Crime and Criminal Tracking Network System (CCTNS) and CCTV projects have been commissioned successfully.
My government attaches highest priority to the safety of women and children. Ninety women police patrolling teams have been drafted into service to create a feeling of confidence and safety among women and children.
19. The State has continued its march to progress and development. I call upon the citizens to join hands with the Government in building a vibrant, progressive and prosperous Maharashtra.
Jai Hind ! Jai Maharashtra !!