Address by Governor on the occasion of the 58th anniversary of the formation of the State of Maharashtra in Mumbai
Maharashtra Day Message to be delivered by Shri Ch. Vidyasagar Rao, Hon’ble Governor of Maharashtra on the occasion of the 58th anniversary of the formation of the State of Maharashtra at Shivaji Park, Mumbai on Tuesday, 1st May 2018
Sisters and Brothers,
1. I extend my heartiest greetings to all on the joyous occasion of the 58th anniversary of the formation of the State of Maharashtra. Today also happens to be the International Workers’ Day, and I extend my greetings to the working class and to all those who toil for our great State and the nation.
2. I also pay my solemn tributes to the martyrs who laid down their lives for the formation of Maharashtra.
3. On this occasion let us remember great visionaries, leaders and social reformers of our State, particularly Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, Mahatma Jotiba Phule, Smt Savitribai Phule, Rajarshi Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj, Bharat Ratna Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar and others. They are the founders of modern Maharashtra.
4. Brothers and Sisters, my Government is committed to doubling the income of farmers by 2022. By implementing schemes such as Farm Pond on Demand, Jal Yukta Shivar and digging of wells, my government is striving to increase the area under irrigation across the state. During the ongoing year, the government has plans to create irrigation potential of 2.26 lakh hectares and enhance the water storage capacity by 853 million cubic metres. The government will be laying thrust on completing 50 on-going irrigation projects on priority.
5. Under the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Shetkari Sanman Yojana, more than 55 lakh account holding farmers have been granted primary approval for loan waiver. Of these, 46.50 lakh account holders have received benefit so far. An amount of Rs. 14,789 crore has been deposited in the accounts of 37.20 lakh beneficiary farmers. The State Government has recently taken an important decision to extend the loan waiver benefits to farmers who have defaulted on loans since 2001. This will benefit nearly three lakh farmers who were in debt, but were deprived of the loan waiver benefits during 2008 and 2009.
6. I am happy to announce that as part of the Swachh Bharat Mission, Maharashtra has constructed 60 lakh toilets so far. I am pleased to state that as many as 34 districts, 351 talukas, 27,667 Gram Panchayats and 40,500 villages in the State have become open -defecation free.
7. Keeping in mind the threat of plastic to the environment, my government recently decided to regulate specified plastic and thrmocol in the State and promote recycling through extended Producer Responsibility Organisations and ban on non-recyclable plastic. This is a landmark decision to protect the environment and natural resources. I appeal to everybody to participate in this campaign. Various social organizations and citizens themselves should make this campaign a success.
8. During the ‘Magnetic Maharashtra’ Global Investors’ Summit inaugurated by the Hon’ble Prime Minister earlier this year, 4106 MoUs involving investment of Rs. 12.10 lakh crore were signed. These projects have the potential to generate over 36.77 lakh employment opportunities. Similarly, MoUs worth Rs. 600 crore were signed with the Railways. The bhoomi pujan of a rail coach factory was performed at Latur recently. The project is expected to generate 25,000 jobs directly. I am proud to state that Maharashtra is well on its march towards becoming India’s first trillion dollar economy state.
9. Under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, nearly 4 lakh houses have been completed in rural areas. My Government is endeavouring to build additional 12 lakh houses by 2019 to provide houses to all homeless people in rural Maharashtra.
10. The government has decided to develop the places associated with the life and work of Bharat Ratna Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar as places of pilgrimage and tourism. These include Chavdar Tale of Mahad, the Kalaram Temple at Nashik, Deekshabhoomi in Nagpur, the Buddha Vihar at Dehu Road, the Satara School and the Bhima-Koregaon pillar monument.
11. Under the Asmita Yojana, my government will provide sanitary napkins to teenage girl students at nominal prices. The decision will benefit about seven lakh girl students in the State.
12. In a first of its kind decision in the country, my government has decided to provide one per cent reservation for orphans in the open category. This will enable those brought up as orphans to avail reservations in education and government jobs.
13. In order to increase women’s participation in industry and business, my government has declared an industrial policy dedicated to women entrepreneurs. I am confident that 20,000 women entrepreneurs will be enabled to start enterprises which will generate more than one lakh employment opportunities during the next 5 years.
14. I am pleased to state that under the Harit Maharashtra Abhiyan, 50 crore trees are being planted between 2017 and 2019.
15. My government has approved the Late Balasaheb Thackeray Smruti Matoshree Gram Panchayat Bandhni Yojana, to fund construction of office buildings for gram panchayats not having their own office spaces. This decision will benefit about 4250 gram panchayats in villages having small populations.
16. My government has announced several important policies for the rapid development of the State. These include the Aerospace and Defence Sector Policy, Coir Industry Policy, Extension to the current Industrial Policy, Maharashtra Electric Vehicle Policy, Industrial Complex Policy, Integrated Logistics Park Policy, New Textile Policy and Fintech Policy. These policies will help to attract large investments and generate employment opportunities for youths in the State.
17. Under the Dr. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Janvan Vikas Yojana, tribal families living in wadis and vastis have been provided with LPG gas connections. Also, solar power kits and milch animals have been distributed to them.
18. My government is giving special attention to public health. From the next month, cancer patients in the State will be provided free Chemotherapy treatment at district hospitals. In the first phase, this facility will be made available in ten districts, namely, Nagpur, Gadchiroli, Pune, Amravati, Jalgaon, Nashik, Wardha, Satara, Bhandara and Akola.
19. The Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation has decided to provide jobs to the legal heir of the jawans of the Indian Armed Forces who lost their lives in the line of duty. They will also be provided the facility of free travelling in all types of buses run by MSRTC.
20. Sisters and Brothers, my government is deeply committed to achieve the all-round progress and development of the State. I appeal to the citizens to join hands with the Government in building a strong, progressive and vibrant Maharashtra. Once again, I extend my heartiest greetings to the people on the occasion of Maharashtra Day.
Jai Hind ! Jai Maharashtra !!