Address by Governor at 67th anniversary of the Indian Republic day
Address by Shri Ch Vidyasagar Rao, Governor of Maharashtra on the occasion of 67th anniversary of the Indian Republic at Shivaji Park, Mumbai at 9 am on Thursday, 26 January 2017
Sisters and Brothers,
1. I extend my heartiest greetings and good wishes to the people of Maharashtra on the occasion of the 67th anniversary of the Indian Republic. I also convey my greetings and good wishes to the people on the occasion of New Year 2017.
2. This is a day to reaffirm our commitment to strengthening the democratic values enshrined in the Constitution and to rededicate ourselves to work for the all-round development of the nation and the State.
3. I pay my humble tributes to the Architect of the Constitution, Bharat Ratna Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar, and also to the members of the Constituent Assembly, who drafted the Constitution.
4. We have successfully traversed a long and arduous path to fulfil the objectives of a democratic and socialistic order. Today, we can look back with a sense of satisfaction at our united efforts that have enabled achievements in various walks of life. Many sectors of our economy have undergone radical transformation. The State has been marching ahead to achieve all inclusive growth.
5. I am pleased to note that Maharashtra has set up the Science and Technology Commission under the chairmanship of former Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission Dr. Anil Kakodkar.
6. With a view to ensuring the security of all citizens and prevent the recurrence of terror crimes, 7261 CCTV cameras have been installed in Mumbai, Pune and Nagpur.
7. The State is going through the process of elections to Municipal Corporations and Panchayat Raj Institutions of Zilla Parishads and Panchayat Samitis. The democratic exercise reflects our faith and commitment to the institutions of local self-Government, which have become constitutional bodies after the passage of the 73rd and 74th Constitutional Amendments. I appeal to the people of Maharashtra to exercise their franchise in an orderly and peaceful manner in the true spirit of democracy.
8. Maharashtra has embarked on a journey of all round development. I appeal to the citizens to join hands with the Government in this nation-building effort and enhance Maharashtra’s reputation as the land of opportunity, enterprise, social equality and brotherhood.
9. Before I conclude, I extend, once again, my heartiest greetings to the people of the State on the happy occasion of the Republic Day. Let us all resolve to maintain Maharashtra’s pre-eminent position as a premier State in the country and strive to achieve newer peaks of excellence in the future.
Jai Hind! Jai Maharashtra!!